Welcome to my blog!
Today I’m interviewing Karoline Barrett the author of the Bread and Batter Mystery series. I’ve read both Bun for Your Life #1 and Raisin the Dead #2 in the series and found them to be witty and fun to read. I love Molly, who thinks she’s more of a mystery sleuth than co-owner of a bakery in the small town of Destiny, New York. Then, there’s Detective Sean Corsino, handsome, of course, who isn’t all that crazy about Molly’s help, but. .
- A little birdie told me there will be a book #3 coming out soon in your Bread and Batter Mystery series. Do you know yet when that might be? First I want to say thank you for having me on your blog, Kay! I’m hoping my book will be out later this summer, if I can manage to get it finished and to my publisher!
- Who will be publishing book #3 for you and what can you tell us about the publisher? Summer Prescott Book Publishing is putting out book #3 in my series (and lots of other books for me as well, I hope!). They are an independent book publisher that focus on cozy mysteries as well as darker mysteries.
- Just have to ask what platform you favor when it comes time to promote your books? I love Facebook, but spend waaaay too much time there! It’s a double-edged sword. I’ve met a lot of readers and authors on Facebook, so that’s a good thing at least, and I also use Facebook to do giveaways, which I love doing.
- Now I’m curious as to how you decided to write a cozy mystery series? My former agent asked me what I like to read, and when I replied “Mysteries”, she suggested I write one, and my Bread and Batter series was born.
- Did you have other books or short stories published prior to writing the series? I had quite a few short stories published eons ago, and my first book, The Art of Being Rebekkah, was published back in 2013. It’s now out of print so I’m looking for another publisher.
- I know you work a full-time job besides writing, which I admire, so when do you find time to write and what is your process for writing your books? That’s a very good question! I usually end up writing on weekends. I try to write after work, but that doesn’t always work out!
- What are a couple of the most important elements of writing to you? Character development and a tight plot.
- What books or authors have influenced your life and writing? Oh my. So many! I love the Nancy Drew books, of course. That seems to be a pre-requisite for any mystery writer! I’m also a big fan of Joan Hess, Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Faye Kellerman, and Ann B. Ross. Would you believe I have never read an Agatha Christie book?
- What advice would you have for writers who are just starting out? Take some writing classes if you can, join writing groups, write what you feel comfortable writing, and don’t take yourself too seriously!
- And finally, what are your writing plans for the future? Also where can we find you on the internet. . .Website, Facebook, Amazon, etc. I hope to continue my Bread and Batter series. I’d also like to start a new series, and I have a stand-alone mystery I need to finish. I also love writing romance, so I have one of those lurking about as well! Here’s my link to my website where readers can connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, etc. http://www.karolinebarrett.com/
Thank you, Karoline, for spending some time with us. I enjoyed every minute of it. As Karoline would say. . .